Strong bones are vital to optimal health as we age, which is why we focus on providing natural medicine treatments for osteopenia and osteoporosis at our holistic health clinic in Tulsa, Oklahoma. It is estimated there are 28 million Americans with osteopenia (low bone density) and osteoporosis (severely low bone density), which leads to higher risks for fractures.
This disease affects women much more commonly than men. Bone density often peaks around age 35 in women, so we need to be proactive about bone health much earlier than most people think. It’s easier to work on preventing osteopenia than to reverse it.
The United States has one of the highest rates of osteoporosis in the world. If we consume so much dairy in our American diets then why is this the case? Milk products from cows tend to cause inflammation in many people, so it’s better to get your calcium intake from plant-based sources like almonds, broccoli, and dark leafy greens.
There are a number of causes for the bones to start thinning, which can include:
- Nutrient insufficiencies- not just calcium, but magnesium, vitamin D, boron, and vitamin K to name a few.
- Lack of optimal muscle mass
- Use of certain medications like proton pump inhibitors (Prilosec) for heartburn as the acidic environment in the stomach is needed for calcium absorption.
- Lack of exercise, especially resistence exercises like lifting weights, water aerobics, or use of resistance bands.
- Higher levels of inflammation, which can be due to poor diet choices, food sensitivities, toxin exposure, stress, and lack of sleep.
- Lower estrogen levels, most often due to menopause
Natural medicine therapies for osteopenia and osteoporosis that we incorporate at Vibrant Natural Medicine, in Tulsa, Oklahoma include:
- Functional medicine testing to assess which underlying causes for osteopenia and osteoporosis are most prevalent for each individual. This testing is vital to create the most optimal and successful naturopathic medicine plan for each person! Tests commonly done include:
- Micronutrient testing to assess individual nutrition status for 52 vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and other nutrients. For more information about this testing check out this post: What’s the Best Nutrition Plan For Your Health?
- Food sensitivity testing to discover which common foods are creating systemic inflammation for each individual. Nearly 100 foods and a candida antibody are checked in this assay. For more information, check out this post: Are the Healthy Foods You Are Eating Making You Sick, Fat, and Tired?
- Toxin exposure, including heavy metals, molds or mycotoxins, and other environmental chemicals.
- Oxidative stress levels- high levels can increase inflammation and stress on the body. An antioxidant protection assay can also be done to provide information on which antioxidant nutrients are most beneficial for each individual in reducing oxidative stress.
- Hormone levels and ratios- estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, DHEA and cortisol.
- Nervous system balance- sympathetic or parasympathetic dominance completed via heart rate variability (HRV) testing.
- PEMF therapy, which stands for pulsed electromagnetic field
- This is a safe, painless and simple way to stimulate bone formation. Various research studies have shown PEMF therapy to be effective in preventing and treating osteopenia and osteoporosis as well as osteoarthritis. 1,2
- Individualized lifestyle guidance for optimal exercises, ensuring proper sleep, specific dietary recommendations, and stress reduction/adaption techniques.
- Herbal supplementation for hormone balancing, stress adaption, and reducing inflammation.
- Optimal supplement recommendations for each individual based on their history. Two common supplements we discuss for bone health are a good bone formula and a product called Ostinol.
- You never want to take a calcium supplement alone as the mineral can deposit in other tissues, like the blood vessels. We recommend a bone formula that contains the ideal ratio and most absorbable forms of the vitamins and minerals needed for bone health in order to shuttle those nutrients to the bones. Osteoben by Designs for Health is one great option.
- Ostinol, which works with the bone formula to increase bone density! One case study involves a 59-year old healthy woman taking Calcium and Vitamin D for years with a history of declining DEXA scores. She showed a significant increase in DEXA scores after adding 200 mg of Ostinol® twice daily for 34 months. After 8 months of Ostinol® usage her DEXA scan increased 10%, and after a total of 34 months on Ostinol® her DEXA score increased 51% from baseline. Read the full report HERE.
Shop for high-quality, third-party tested supplements, including Osteoben and Ostinol HERE.
Disclaimer: This website contains general information about medical conditions and natural treatments. The content is created and published online for informational purposes only. The information is not medical advice, and should not be treated as such. It is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice and should not be relied on as health or personal advice. We highly recommend consulting a doctor/medical professional before purchasing or using any of the products recommended here, or following any alternative treatment that you might find on this website.
- Benefits of PEMF in osteoarthritis https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26562074/
- PEMF in osteopenia https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29901507/
If you are looking to incorporate naturopathic medicine treatments for optimal bone health, give our office a call to set up a consultation!
In Vibrant Wellness,
Vibrant Natural Medicine | Tulsa, Oklahoma’s Solution for Bone Health | Natural Osteopenia and Osteoporosis Treatments
Tulsa Naturopathic Doctor | Tulsa Natural Medicine | Tulsa Holistic Practitioner | Tulsa Naturopathic Medicine | Tulsa Functional Medicine | Tulsa Holistic Doctor
Vibrant Natural Medicine